CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

SOUND AFFECTS: A Review of Solange's "Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams"



Call me what you want, bias, band wagoner or whatever I really, really like Solange's new album. It's just so different, so out of the box. I actually had her first album "Solo Star" and I really enjoyed it. I can't say that I would really listen to it now because I wouldn't say that the material is something that I can personally relate to right now. "So Angel" is a mature an amazingly produced album. I appreciate that fact that she wants to stand out on her own and show her own true talent and individuality. I don't by any means believe that its a gimmick or a show for publicity. She is a TRUE artist and talent. A few of my favorites on the album are "T.O.N.Y," "Dancing in the Dark," "Valentines Day," "Would've Been The One" and "Cosmic Journey". The music on this album seems 70's soul and Motown inspired. I love to see an artist grow in such a diverse way. Especially without loosing who they are and the music that THEY actually want to create. Many artist "claim" that they've grown with their music, and feel that they are producing solid material. Inevitably what I normally experience is a huge disconnection with the music. They've grown so much that we as the audience can't even recognize them or their music, let alone appreciate it. It's so refreshing to see an artist step outside today's typical music and create songs that may not be appealing to main stream radio or the industry. It was definitely a risk but I love that! This album is amazing. I believe this album will always be relevant. I applaud Solange for being the anti Beyonce'.(Seriously, almost every new artist that comes out seems to sort of copy Bey, which I'm sure she's flattered by, but there is only ONE BEYONCE')...But anyways, I sincerely appreciate their (Beyonce' and Solange's) differences and with this new album they are clearly defined. Although this album just gets me even more hyped for Beyonce's album.... :-) But that's OK, I think there is room for both albums in my musical heart!!!

Check out a couple of my favorite picks from the album:

Solange




Solange's Performance on David Letterman:




GO BUY SOL-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams IMMEDIATELY! It doesn't disappoint.

0 comments: