CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 11, 2011

ARTIST TO KNOW: Frank Ocean







Last month 23 year old New Orleans singer Frank Ocean of Hip Hop crew "Odd Future" released a solo mixtape, Nostalgia/Ultra. I heard about the mixtape by way of a conversation on Twitter between the Concreteloop team about how dope the mixtape was so of course I hoped on the site to check it out. Well I was definitely impressed by this album. He kind of reminds me of a cross between Ryan Leslie and Miguel in a way. It's a great mix of pop, alternative and even a bit of R&B/soul. I just downloaded this mixtape and I've already listened to it twice. (As you can see I'm pretty excited about it since I posted on it so quick). I love a good new artist find! It looks like I'm not the only one who loves Frank Ocean's style as he has recently been signed to Island Def Jam! Frank Ocean describes his unique sound/style below:

“My name is Frank Ocean. I grew up in New Orleans. I'm from Odd Future. I wrote Nostalgia/Ultra in spring 2010. I think I have Synesthesia. I feel more like some type of visual artist than a musician when I'm working. I just mean my process is more about imagery. Maybe people wanna call it a certain genre because I'm a black guy singing. I don't really mind. To be honest, I don't think much about it. I categorize it in iTunes as Bluegrass or Death Metal usually. I'm pretty sure I have Synesthesia though. I also wear a Kippah from time to time. I smoke Marijuana for anxiety. Oh, and I used to battle-rap in highschool.”





I thought it was so dope that he sampled Coldplay's "Strawberry Swing" he did such a good version of it and the vocals are amazing! Love, Love the beat and vocal arrangement on "Swim Good" another favorite is the up tempo "Novacane." This song sounds like something that should be on the radio. "American Wedding" is on repeat, the song which uses a sample of the Eagles hit "Hotel California" if nothing else shows his depth and versatility. (Also reminds me of why I love the Eagles so much, with the guitar solo at the end). Although I appreciate the great free music, I feel like this tape should have been released by his label as an album . It would've done great on itunes for sure. Frank Ocean is definitely an artist to know and definitely has the ol "Mpossible stamp of approval." If his label pushes him to the masses I bet he will be well received, especially since he already has a pretty strong cult following due to being a member of Odd Future.

Here are a few of my favorites from the tape:










Download Nostalgia, Ultra here:
http://oddfuture.tumblr.com/post/3364680732/frank-ocean-just-released-his-album-nostalgia

Follow him @frank_ocean

0 comments: