CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Plea to Whitney Houston




Whitney Houston owns the rights to one of my favorite movies, the 1976 film "Sparkle." I believe several years ago she was in a bidding war with Halle Berry to get the movie. I would've been happy to see either one of them produce the movie as long as it didn't end up some Lifetime special or something. The movie stars Irene Cara(Flashdance Soundtrack,Fame), Lonette McKee(Cotton Club, ATL), Phillip Michael Thomas(Miami Vice) Dwan Smith, Mary Alice, Dorian Harewood, and Tony King. Curtis Mayfield worked as the composer and producer of Sparkle's songs and score. While Aretha Franklin added her vocals to the soundtrack. "Sparkle" is an amazing movie based on a family of women and their music career. The music is awesome in this movie and it happens to include Aretha Franklin's- "Somethin He Can feel," which was sampled by EnVouge and the performances in the movie inspired a scene in "School Daze". Before Aaliyah passed away she was set to play the leading role in the movie. Which I felt she would've been perfect for. It really breaks my heart that we didn't get to see her in the movie because I believe she would've done an great job. Since the passing of Aaliyah there has been talk that the producers were talking to Ashanti and Raven Simone to play the leading role. Not a good idea. I can understand why almost every songstress/actress wants to be in this movie but how do you go from Aaliyah to Asanti? First of all I don't think she has the chops or the acting ability to play this part. I feel like it's an insult to the movie. As far as Raven Simone goes, I love the girl. I think she awesome but not right for the part at all. Now people are talking about the fact that the producers have scratched the first two choices and are approaching Jordan Sparks to play Sparkle. I know this girl can sing but she just isn't right for the part in my opinion. My suggestion for this role would be Alicia Keys. I realize that she only has a couple of movies under her belt but I think she would be incredible for the part. I'm so nervous about this, just as I was about "Dreamgirls." But I think they did it the right way, casting Beyonce' in the lead role because she is a huge star and she is equally talented. I believe that because their voices are so similar, she could even play Lonette Mckee's part as "Sister." My plea to Whitney Houston and the producers of "Sparkle" is that they PLEASE consider Alicia Keys for this part....

On a side note, I've also heard that they've approached Chris Brown for the part of Stix, one of the male leading roles in the movie. Now that's exciting!!!

Watch a couple of the music scenes from the movie:







See Alicia Key's video inspired by School Daze/Sparkle:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Finally!" A post I can comment on. I've truly enjoyed reading your blog over the last few months, and have to admit that your suggestions on new music is not only on the mark, but has turned into money well spent. You definitely would have a successful career in A/R, if that's not already your chosen profession...Anyway, I think your reasoning for casting Alicia Keys in the lead role for the old school classic "Sparkle" is an astute one. BUT...Being an old school buff myself, I would have to respectively disagree with you on this one. If and when this classic movie finds its way past the drama of it's gate keeper. The story, that not only follows the triumphant, and unfortunately tragic lives of three sisters with dreams of making it big in the music business, set on the backdrop of the struggles of a single mother trying to raise and protect her daughters from the mean streets of their inner city neighborhood would fall flat if not re-done right and that includes the casting.
I too believe that Ms. Keys has the chops to pull this off vocally, but I also think that in an effort to make her appear more feminine, her handlers have promoted a more sexy persona for their talented artist, making her to mature for the part of Sparkle. I think Keys would be a better pick, for the part of "Sister." Giving her an opportunity to show the dept of her acting skills...While casting a more innocent looking Corrine Bailey Rae as "Sparkle" Not only does she have the vocal chops, but she could draw from the pain of this past year, making her a perfect fit....and yes, I think Chris Brown would work very well as Stix...